I have learned to recognize
evidence as factual information. Claims tend to be more of a person's opinion
based on the evidence. Because you see girl with minimum clothing on (evidence),
you can claim that men would be attracted to the photo or ad with that women.
You can't make a claim unless you have something to back it up and prove it.
That something is the evidence. I realized in my paper I was making a lot of
claims about my ad but wasn't putting the evidence to it to show the reader
and help them imagine the ad that I am seeing. I realized that all my claims in
my paper should relate back to a piece of evidence. I knew everything about my
ad so I was just making claims expecting everyone else to know what I was
thinking, but I needed to prove that in my paper so that each claim is backed
up to prove to the reader. I have also learned that one piece of evidence can
hold multiple claims. In my paper I made claims that Crest isn't just selling
the smile but also the beauty of Shakira. I used evidence of framing to back
this up because they don't just zoom in on Shakira's smile, they photograph her
from shoulders up so that they can capture all her beauty not just her smile. I
used evidence of her long golden locks, perfectly shaped eyebrows and protruding
collar bones to describe things our society usually depicts as beautiful.
Overall thinking of evidence and claims when writing really helps the process
when you are unsure of what to say next. If you pick a piece of evidence then
you can make a claim or even multiple claims that the evidence shows. When
reading my paper I thought about each claim and what about the ad made me make
that claim in the first place. This help my paper come together and strengthen
my writing.
Nice thought process.
ReplyDelete