I have never thought about
introducing myself as a writer because in no way, shape or form am I a writer.
Writing has never interested me. My favorite subjects are those with the least
amount of writing. I'm a science major and maybe that's why I don't like
writing because I never have had much practice with it. I have never been good
at piecing together my words and thoughts to make a good sentence. My
vocabulary is so weak when it comes to writing that I can never think of a good
way to write what I want to say. That is one thing I hope to work on in this
class. I hope to expand my vocabulary in my writing. I think I learned most of
my writing skills from my sophomore year of high school. We worked on a variety of pieces from poetry,
narrative, to research papers. Previous teacher have always read my papers and
wrote how they would've done something else. However my tenth grade teacher
asked us what we were trying to say so that she could help us put it into
better words. I think that has hindered my interest in writing because I don't
want to change my words just for a teacher. It always seemed like I could never
get the "right" answer when it came to writing. That's why I loved
writing research papers. I could research the "answers" and that just
explain what I have read. I don't have creativity to come up with my own story
so I just stuck with writing research papers when I could. I hope that this
class will open me to other types of writing that I can become interested in.
That I can practice using my own words and not what others think I should say.
I think that throwing away the typical five paragraph essay will help me come
out of my shell and be able to write out all my thoughts without feeling constricted.
My overall goal is to just make writing less of a job and more of a way to
express myself and become more creative.
Well said. Just because you don't have a huge vocabulary doesn't mean you don't have something to say.
ReplyDelete