Saturday, February 22, 2014

Am I Pretty Enough for You?

I think superficial image is a huge problem in so many ways no matter where you are in life. It can be hard and very prevalent at college when you are trying to make friends and fit in. What does it take to fit in with a group of people? Well so I've come to learn looks can play a huge role. One aspect of college where I've seen this idea become prevalent is greek life and it is also a major reason I chose not to get involved. You are paying to be part of a group where girls chose if they like you or not. I'm not saying that all greek life is like this and that they only choose girls based on looks but there is a unconscious that does play a role. There is also the sororities that are the "pretty girls". Well, they all happen to be pretty because only those girls got invited to join the sorority. Whether you think about it or not looks play a huge role in some people's lives. The stereotypical sorority girl is one who is cute, outgoing, and has money. And girls who fall into those three categories are going to find themselves getting bids from all sororities. Like Cameron Russel mentions is her Tedtalk, some people are born into a legacy. It has nothing to do with who they are but everything to do with what they physically have. Just because a girl has white skin, long blonde hair, tan skin, and a skinny frame there are some opportunities that she will get that others don't. Though I think many people don't base their opinions on such superficial ideas it is still very prevalent and beauty should never have been defined how it is now. If beauty is something you are born into than we have no control on how beautiful we are. But the truth is we do control who we are and that's how beauty should be measure. By what a beautiful soul you have and the great way you treat others, not the way you physically appear to other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment